Do not forget to inform your tenants / guests about the fire risks.
Before the season :
- Keep clear scrub within 75m radius of all buildings and pool
- Thin out and trim trees to maintain 3m distance betweem them and also buildings
- Cut away branches lower than 2,5m
- Clean out gutters, roof and ditches
- Test all motor driven waterpumps and check fuel supply
In the event of a fire :
- Except if told by the authorities to evacuate, do not leave the house, where you are safe
- Do not set off by road in an attempt to escape the fire!!
- Once the aerial water bombers are deployed the electricity supply will be cut off
- Open all gates to the house to allow fire brigade access
- Close all doors and shutters
- Park cars inside or near a wall away from the wind
- Take all gas bottles (and other incendairy items) inside
- Take your pets inside and keep them away from smoke
- Take waterpumps and hoses inside. They will be useful to put out little pockets of fire after the fire has passed
- If smoke comes in the house block it out with wet towels
- If the fire goes over the house you will hear a violent noise for a few minutes. When this noise fades, carefully go outside to put out any pockets of fire left. Be careful if the wind changes direction and the fire comes back again.
- After the fire has passed inform family, neighbours, landlords.... that you are ok
* * *
The fire brigade may use the water from the pool to put out the fire
In the event of being evacuated by the authorities :
- Prepare yourselves for evacuation by collecting together items for an emergency kit